Since we moved in about 2 1/2 years ago we:
1. removed old carpet and refinished wood floors throughout
2. painted every room
3. re-tiled bathroom, replaced toilet, sink and vanity, reglazed tub and tile and ultimately replaced tub
4. painted kitchen cabinets, replaced counters, replaced all kitchen appliances, added dishwasher, added backsplash and added additional kitchen cabinetry
5. painted and carpeted the finished basement area
6. painted screened porch floor
7. re-sided a portion of the front of the house
8. updated landscaping in front and back yards
9. replaced light fixtures throughout the house
I think that might be it? Not too shabby for the amount of time we have spent here. I see us here for another year or two but when we move will depend on lots of factors and I'm trying my best not to get too attached to a particular time frame since we don't know what the future will bring. So perhaps we'll have a year that is free of projects before we move on and begin again.
I don't think I'm capable of not doing some little changes here or there. Painting furniture, adding different decor elements... I don't really count that in my assessment of "done" I'm only counting the big projects and changes and I have to say I'm happy to be done with them for a while. We had discussed adding a second bath in the basement but we don't think it would add enough value to our home for the amount of money and work it would take.
It is probably best to save some of our money and energy for our next home because I have no doubt it will require work and updates and since it is our hope that the next home is one we can stay in for a while there will undoubtedly be many things to change over time.
It feels nice to make peace and decide we are done with big changes here. I think my husband doubts that I'll be able to control myself and not suggest some other update but my need for change can easily be contented with little decor switches and I'm truthfully happy to just enjoy our little home for a while.
Here are some of the photos from the original listing of the house
When I look back and see where we started from and then all it took to get to this
and now when I look up from the computer I see this
And instead of looking at this when I go in the kitchen to cook
I can instead look at this
and instead of visiting this lovely loo
Not bad. Not bad at all.