Friday, January 13, 2012

caramel icing

I made this a while ago for my Mom's Birthday and I have to share it.  This stuff is by far the best icing I've ever had.  It is a little tricky and doesn't come out looking terribly beautiful but one bite and you won't care!  I found the recipe through the Penzey's spice catalog.  This is a double recipe so you can halve it if you don't want as much.

1 cup butter
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
½ cup whipping cream
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2 t double strength vanilla


Melt the butter and brown sugars over low heat until dissolved, stirring constantly. Add the whipping cream and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 7 minutes. This will burn easily so do not leave it unattended.

 Remove from the heat. Pour into the bowl of an electric stand mixer. Gradually beat in the powdered sugar and the vanilla at medium speed with the whisk attachment. You can also use a hand mixer with the thinnest beaters. This will take about 6-10 minutes and then it will begin to thicken. If it suddenly gets too thick you may thin with 2 T of hot water. Once it starts to thicken start smoothing it on quickly.  Even with your best efforts, there may be a bit of hardened icing left in the bowl—it is like candy, so enjoy it!
hardened leftovers, so delicious!

 I just made box cake cupcakes because it is quick and easy and I'm a fan of box cake.  As you can see the icing really does harden quick so it looks a little lumpy, bumpy.  The consistency reminds me of maple candy if you are familiar with that.  It really is beyond belief wonderful.
Yum!  Happy weekend to you!

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I found you through Lindsay at Me, Ed & Pea - love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. would it be ok if I made this but didn't make the cupcake and just ate it with a spoon? looks yummy like a caramel paste... or is it formable into like a teddy bear shape that I could then pop in my mouth?! I will make it to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds tasty! And dangerous...I would probably just eat it with a spoon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmmmmmmm.......
    save me one!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just mouthwatering...looks so fresh & delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I like them!