Tuesday, May 8, 2012

storage!

When I talked about my home goals for the year I mentioned we wanted to replace our baker's rack with real cabinetry.  I showed a picture of it like this.


Looks pretty tidy and not half bad but it generally looks more like this.


and this is after I removed the empty dog food can and assorted crud off the counter top.

It pretty much always looks like a sloppy mess and so I'm a glad to say that we will be replacing this with more cabinets!  An upper double cabinet that goes to the ceiling and some open shelving too.  Some lower cabinets, a little spot for a stool and a garbage drawer.  We'll be putting a butcher block counter there because we don't want to spend the money on more granite and I like the way the wood looks on the bakers rack so I think it will be a nice touch.  We're not excited to spend money but really excited to have more storage because we truly don't have enough room for food in this place.  I can deal with being minimal with kitchen dishes, pans and gadgets.  We have a spot in the basement for overflow and things we don't use all the time like the crock pot but not having enough room for pasta and canned goods is a serious problem!

So it will be about a month or so and in the meantime we have to move that pesky doorbell chime up above the bakers rack that you can see in the first picture.  This may be beyond our limited electrical capabilities so a call to the electrician will be in order. 

I'm excited.  It is another big step in making this house more functional for us like I talked about in my Home Goals:

7.  Work on making this house work for us.  Our house is on the small side but the truth of the matter is there is more than enough room.  The more we can fine tune the way we live in our little house the happier we'll be.  We might have to be creative and resourceful but this is and can continue to be a great home for us.

I'll keep you posted!  I have to get matching hinges, knobs and pulls for the new cabinetry.  It was only a year and a half ago I got everything so I'm assuming it is all still available.  Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. Teresa,
    Can't wait to see how you finish out this area! Your plans sound fantastic! And take it from someone who has live in all sizes of home... it is not the size that matters... it is being content with the space you have and more importantly it is the love that is in the home that makes it a true and happy home!
    dee dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so jealous of your future cabinets. I think the butcher block top will be lovely. We have a similar kitchen, with the (limited) existing cabinets and appliances in an L shape. I ended up putting deep open shelving on the blank wall, which helps with some storage. I would love more cabinets, though. Can't wait to see the process!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I like them!